Today is my 22nd birthday! I started things off with some commercialized iced deliciousness.
Just for a little something different I thought it might be fun to share a 22 random (and hopefully interesting) facts about me!
1. When I was two years old I made my family sing happy birthday to me and light a candle every single time I had a piece of left over birthday cake. It took about a week for me to finish it, so that’s about seven days worth of candles and singing. My family apparently blames my grandfather for this overindulgence.
2. To this day I have not learned to whistle. I’ve trained my dogs and my horse to respond to tongue clicks (weird, I know), but my goal for this year is to learn to actually whistle.
3. The vast majority of my friends call me by my full name, Megan. However, my family and boyfriend and work friends all call me Meg pretty fluently. I actually prefer Meg, but I feel weird asking so many of my friends to switch what they call me. I do tend to introduce myself to new people as Meg, though.
4. Until my cat, Callie, decided to live with us, I actually thought I didn’t particularly like cats. She has completely changed my mind. I am such a crazy cat lady now.
5. One of my favorite drinks is lemonade. Freshly squeezed is best, but I’m not above drink concentrated or even Crystal Light lemonade to get my fix. Sometimes I feel like a little kid when I order it in a restaurant: “Uh, do you have lemonade? And a bendy straw? And maybe some crayons?”
6. My favorite book is To Kill a Mockingbird. Always has been. Always will be. My mom read it to me in the 6th grade and I still think it is one of the most perfect books in existence. I can’t even begin to count the number of times I’ve reread it.
7. My first car was a 1968 Mustang. My parents bought it for me when I was 15 and I kept it for five years. I loved that car so much, and I sometimes still regret selling it even though it was possibly the most temperamental car in existence.
8. As a young child I was absolutely in love with Barney. As in the purple dinosaur. When I was three my grandfather (the same one who sang to me for a week straight) bought me a massive stuffed Barney. This thing has to be four feet tall, so to my toddler self he was massive. Big Barney, as I called him, was probably my best friend for many months. He still lives in my grandmother’s guest room.
9.I have had my horse Apache since I was seven years old. After fifteen years together, I know this horse better than I know myself. The day my grandfather (not the same one who sang to me) gave him to me was one of the happiest days of my life. Apache is now 25 and I still like to believe he will outlive me.
10. I’ve wanted to be a special education teacher since I was 14 years old and started volunteering with a therapeutic horseback riding program. I loved every single minute I spent working with those kids and horses, and to this day I dream about one day starting my own therapeutic horseback riding program.
11. I did not eat red meat for six years. Basically, ages 14-20. I had a hamburger about a week after my 20 birthday because I realized I was limiting my red meat consumption for rather unhealthy reasons. I’ve been kind of a beef lover ever since. And I’m probably going to chow down on a steak tonight.
12. I took dance for 13 years, kindergarten through my senior year of high school. You’d never know it to look at me, I’m pretty clumsy.
13. When I was fourteen I got to spend almost a month in Europe. I traveled with a group of students and we went to Spain, France, Monaco, and Italy. It was incredible and I would love to go back.
15. My favorite flowers are gardenias. The smell is just so lovely, and the blooms are gorgeous. My boyfriend got me a gardenia bush once. Sadly it lasted about a month in my hands. I do not have a green thumb even though I’ve always really wanted to have a garden. My boyfriend came up with an excellent solution and made me a victory garden for my birthday. It has mint and catnip and phlox and strawberries so many other plants and I’m so excited to take care of it. And Callie likes to stick her face in the catnip, of course. And I apologize for the horrible grammar in this fact.
16. I love brownie batter but I’m not that crazy about actual baked brownies. What can I say, I guess I love the taste of salmonella. Delicious!
17. Also, cupcakes really are my favorite food. I think some people think I exaggerate, but I’m dead serious. I’d live off them if I could. Except I would miss pasta. And hamburgers.
These are my all time favorite cupcakes. Yellow cupcakes, vanilla frosting, chocolate filling. I’m
probably definitely having these at my wedding one day.
18. I really like scary and suspenseful movies. My mom and I both do, and she’s my favorite scary movie buddy.
19. Several of my favorite movies are kids movies. Tangled is my all time favorite Disney movie. Although of course I loved Frozen, too. And both Despicable Me movies warm my heart. In fact, I would like several dozen of my own minions because they are so stinking cute. My ringtone is the minion ice cream party song. Yes, I am a 5 year old a heart.
20. I prefer dresses and skirts over pants, any day of the week, regardless of season. I have a hard time going to a store and not buying dresses.
21. I can do weird things with my toes. Write, pick stuff up, wiggle them independently. My mom calls them sloth toes.
22. My favorite hobby is reading. One of my favorite ways to spend a Sunday- or any day, really- is curled up with a good book. Preferably near a body of water. Speaking of which, I’m off to spend my birthday at the lake!
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!