I haven’t baked anything in FOREVER. I think my poor mixer thought I had abandoned it.
Never fear, though. I haven’t lost my touch. I present you with my secret weapon, the ultimate in easy and delicious desserts that is especially perfect around the holidays.
Peppermint. Cream. Cheese. Brownies.
These are stupid easy and stupid good.
First, assemble your ingredients.
1. Boxed brownie mix of your choice and the ingredients called for on the box (eggs, oil, etc.)
2. Dark chocolate chips (or milk if you prefer)
3. Cream cheese. It must be Philadelphia cream cheese. No, really. Don’t even try to use anything else. Not another brand, not reduced fat, no no no. It truly will not work as well. The only times I have ever messed this recipe up occurred when I mistakenly used another brand.
So, to reiterate: Philadelphia good. Anything else bad. 8 ounces of it. At room temperature (that last part is also a must)
4. Vanilla frosting
5. Andes peppermint baking chips
6. Peppermint or mint extract (optional)
Preheat the oven and mix up the brownie batter according to the directions.
Next, add the cream cheese and mix until thoroughly incorporated. Add the chocolate chips last.
Now pop it all in the oven. Bake for 20ish minutes. You want to pull these out just when they are done- it makes for a very moist, cakey type brownie.
While the brownies cool, put your frosting in a bowl and add about a teaspoon of peppermint or mint extract if you want an extra minty flavor. Spread it evenly over the cooled brownies.
To finish, sprinkle the peppermint chips liberally over the top.