2014 was quite a year. I graduated from college, got my first teaching job in my hometown, moved into a new apartment with my boyfriend, and adopted a dog.
All in all, it was a pretty darn good year. Here’s hoping that 2015 is just as good.
Now, I’m realistic enough to know that if I make a resolution like “stop eating any and all sugar” or “do a HIIT workout every day” I’m just setting myself up for failure. I know that I’m going to eat dessert multiple times a week and spend most of my free time watching Netflix (currently re-watching Gilmore Girls) and reading. These things make me happy, and I don’t want to cut those out.
Instead, I want my resolutions this year to be about adding things in. For example, a few of my resolutions include:
1. Drink a glass of water first thing every morning. (I’m really horrible at drinking enough water, so at the very least I’ll get one glass in.)
2. Take Charlie for at least a 20 minute walk every day. (Weather permitting- sorry, but I’m not going on a marathon walk if it’s 5 below.)
3. Spend 10 minutes a day doing general apartment tidying stuff.
4. Pick one of my nine bazillion workouts from Pinterest to do at least 5 days a week. It doesn’t matter if it’s a “Six Minutes to Sexy Arms” or “1 Hour of Crazy Killer Ab Torture,” so long as I do something.
5. Eat a vegetable once a week. Sadly, this would be a big improvement.
And this, here, is my really big resolution. The one I want to work on most of all:
6. Do more of what makes me happy and worry less about what it makes others think of me.
If I want to wear crazy bright tights and high heels to go to the grocery store, then I’m going to.
If I want to run down the street with my dog in my pajamas because he wants to run during our morning walk, then I’m going to.
If I want to eat dessert with my lunch, then heck yes I’m going to.
If I manage this, I think I will be a much happier person. And I’m already pretty darn happy, so that’s saying something.
I’ve also heard that how you spend New Years Day indicates what you will do for the rest of the year. I spent it in good company with my boyfriend, his brother, and Charlie in one of my favorite places ever. I think that sets a pretty good tone for the year. (Well, there was an unfortunate IHOP visit thrown in there. But let’s pretend that didn’t happen, okay?)
It was bitterly cold (hence all my poofy layers- I had a fleece jacket, long sleeve shirt, and a cami on under my hoodie!) so Charlie and I went for a run to warm up.
Charlie LOVES to wiggle in the grass, as demonstrated by these next photos.
So, here’s to 2015. May it be the best year yet.